Monday, March 17, 2008

Thinking Ahead.


(A picture of me with my nursing cohort and our significant others celebrating our RN licensure, Summer 2007)
A couple weekends ago, I went to the National Coalition for Ethnic Minority Nurse Association (NCEMNA) conference in San Diego. I left inspired.

When I'm in school, I have a tendency to become insular. I live in a bubble. I forget about what else is going on around me. My goals become short-term. My thinking stretches only to the next quiz, or to the end of the semester. No longer. I'm tired of this way of thinking.

NCEMNA accepted me to be a mentee for this next year, which means that they have paired me up with an AMAZING mentor, a doctorally prepared nurse researcher/scientist, Iris Padilla.

I am encouraged by her and many other wonderfully mature and visionary nurses to "keep on" to find develop my passions, talents, and abilities to do what I love and use this to care for the people I serve. I just got my RN license last year, and I'm only a year away from finally completing my master's degree as a Family Nurse Practitioner, but I'm inspired to pursue MORE.

A doctoral education is likely in the future. I want to teach. I want to become a clinical expert. I want to know my community and learn how to navigate it. I want to meet others who are passionate about who they are and what they do. I am so hungry to do and to be MORE.

2 Comments:

At 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristine! I've been reading your blog for quite some time now and even though you don't know me, I just felt the urge to let you know that this blog is so inspirational to me. (Not to worry, I'm not some weird, creeper stalker) I'm an aspiring RN in hopes of going to APU in the near future and somehow stumbled upon your blog in search to what it's like to be an APU nursing student. I must say that you truly are a great role model to me and this blog really is God sent. Keep up the good job and may the Lord bless you in your pursuit in becoming a Nurse Practioner!

 
At 9:09 AM , Blogger Kristine said...

Wow, Leeann. Thank you for your encouragement. I'm happy to share with you anything you might need on your own journey. It is definitely taxing and tiring, but always worth it, especially in retrospect when you see God's fingerprints on it all!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home